This paleo, sugar-free chocolate almond cake went down so well in my family home in Gloucestershire a few months ago (sorry it’s taken so long for me to put this recipe up). When I am home I love recipe testing with my Mum, she’s always full of suggestions on how to change flours/sugars to make them OK for me to eat. Unfortunately we haven’t been able to do any recipe testing for the last couple of months as I haven’t been well enough but I am hoping to get back to it soon – I really miss it!
We found a recipe for a gluten-free citrus almond cake in one of my cookbooks that we adapted to make it healthier and paleo. It was such success that we then adapted it again to make it a chocolate version – by swapping the citrus with cocao and adding a yummy chocolate frosting on the top. I think you’re going to love this recipe!
What I like most about this cake, aside from it being ridiculously yummy, is that it only has six ingredients and you basically throw everything into a food processor so it’s SO simple to make! Probably the easiest cake recipe I have on my blog!
- Chocolate Cake
- 300g ground almonds
- 125g Sukrin Gold or xylitol
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs whisked
- 150ml melted coconut oil
- Chocolate Frosting
- 1/3 cup softened coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Sweeten to taste with liquid stevia
- Grease and line a 20cm round baking tin and pre-heat your oven to 190 C/gas mark 5.
- Add your dry ingredients to a food processor (ground almonds, Sukrin Gold /xylitol, baking powder, cacao powder) and process until well mixed.
- Add the eggs and coconut oil gradually as you pulse the mixture until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into your tin and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the tin.
- To make the frosting - Mix the softened coconut oil (not melted) with the cocoa powder in a small bowl using a spoon - this may take a few minutes to fully incorporate. Add your stevia a few drops at a time until you reach your desired sweetness.
- Let the cake cool completely before spreading the chocolate frosting on top.
- Enjoy with berries of your choice. It's also lovely with coconut yoghurt!