This delicious creamy broccoli and coconut soup is perfect for those cooler spring evenings – it’s light but comforting and full of green nutrients from the broccoli and spinach! I love using coconut milk in soups as it adds a lovely creaminess and silky feel but without the cream or the cheese. This is the perfect substitute for the traditional broccoli and stilton we all know and love. I like topping mine with an extra dollop of coconut cream, salty bacon and chilli flakes, or with some pesto!
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1/2 red chilli de-seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small sweet potato, cut into medium sized chunks
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 tin (200ml) of coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 slice of cooked chopped bacon to serve
- I made this soup in my Optimum Thermocook but you can use a large saucepan too. Add the onion, garlic and chilli to your Thermocook jug with the kneading paddle in. Add a tbsp of olive oil. Select the auto programme 'saute' and leave until it's completed.
- Add in your sweet potato, broccoli florets, vegetable stock and coconut milk. Select the auto programme 'stir' and set the temperature to 100C. Pause the programme after 10-15 minutes/until everything is cooked through.
- Pour the soup into a separate jug and add the spinach, let the thermocook jug cool for 5 minutes and then switch the kneading paddle for the mixing blade. Pour the soup back into the thermocook jug and select the auto programme 'Smoothie.' This should blend your soup so that it is smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a bowl and serve with whatever toppings you like :) Enjoy!