So I’ve been finding Paleo baking to be quite tricky. I’ve had a few unsuccessful paleo bakes recently – including one that turned GREEN and I can’t seem to work out why!? I think it just takes some getting used to – working out the right quantities of the allowed flours. But this week I have finally got it right with this Chocolate Courgette Cake!! I am so happy with how this one turned out and I am really excited to share it with you
This delicious grain-free chocolate cake is topped with a raspberry cashew cream and fresh raspberries and strawberries. There’s no butter or oil, refined-sugar, or flour… and yet it still tastes as good as any other chocolate cake! I love how gooey and moist it is – all credit to the hidden courgette and sweet banana! The topping takes this cake to the next level…it’s so fruity and creamy and compliments the rich chocolatey cake perfectly! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Recipe adapted from Secret Squirrel's Chocolate Zucchini Birthday Cake
- Chocolate Cake
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup mixed ground flaxseed + chia (I used Bioglan)
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 cup grated courgette
- Raspberry and Chocolate Cashew Cream
- 1 cup cashews (soaked in boiling water for 1 hour)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
- Mash your bananas and add to your food processor along with all of the other ingredients apart from the courgette.
- With your hands, squeeze as much water out of the courgette as you can. Add it to your food processor.
- I used my OPTIMUM THERMOCOOK as my food processor. I used the function 'KNEAD' for 3 minutes. If you're using a regular food processor, mix until just combined.
- Grease and line a large round cake tin. Pour in the cake batter and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Once done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool before removing from the tin.
- Once the cake is cool, make the frosting...
- Drain your cashews and add to a high powered food processor along with the coconut cream. I used my Optimum 9200 Power Blender for this. Blend for a minute or two. Add in the rest of the ingredients and blend until ultra smooth and creamy - this may take a few minutes.
- Spread the frosting evenly on the top of the cake and top with extra berries of your choice. Enjoy :)