So it’s the 1st of December and the countdown to Christmas has begun! And have I got something special and Christmassy for you today. Gooey, nutty, sweet and sticky brownies that are totally grain and dairy free! The dates make these brownies rich and perfectly dense and add most of the sweetness. I only added a dash of brown rice syrup to just give them a slight sweet boost to counteract the bitter raw cacao. They are super delicious warmed up for a few seconds in the microwave with some coconut milk ice-cream!
The combination of cranberries and chestnuts go really well in christmas dishes such as stuffing, but I’d never seen them paired together in sweet recipes. So I thought I’d test out the flavour combination in brownies and it definitely works! They add lovely textures and compliment the gooey chocolate beautifully! I felt so festive munching on these
- 130g ground almonds
- 12 medjool dates, pitted and soaked in hot water
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (hard from the jar)
- 1/4 cup plant based milk (I used almond milk)
- 20g raw cacao powder
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax meal with 6 tbsp water - leave for 10 minutes until thick and gloopy)
- 2 tbsp brown rice syrup (or maple syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 50g chopped pre-cooked chestnuts
- 50g dried cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan over a low heat. Add the dates, almond flour and melted coconut oil to a food processor and process until a sticky, smooth paste has formed.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the cranberries and chestnuts, and process again until just combined, stopping to scrape down the sides if you have to. The batter should be quite sticky and thick.
- Stir in the cranberries and chopped chestnuts. Scoop out your batter and put it into your baking tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife comes out smooth.
- Let the brownie cool before removing from the tin. Slice and enjoy :)