There are many variations of the Mexican drink horchata. It is traditionally made with rice, vanilla and cinnamon, and is served chilled, sometimes over ice. Other versions are made with nuts or seeds. Typically the rice, or nuts/seeds are soaked overnight and then blended with other ingredients to form a sweet, creamy liquid. This recipe is even simpler than that as it doesn’t require any soaking and takes less than five minutes to prepare. It uses a mixture of coconut and almond milk and to add a health boost I added in some fresh turmeric and a Bee Prepared Max Strength Immune Support capsule. When used together these two contain a wide range of antioxidant, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties. So this delicious drink is great for the upcoming winter months to keep those nasty bugs at bay! I think it would also be lovely warm – almost like a turmeric latte
- 1 400ml tin of full-fat coconut milk,
- 100ml almond milk,
- 400ml water,
- 1/3 cup pure honey,
- 1 tsp vanilla essence,
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon,
- 1/2 thumb size piece of fresh turmeric (if you don't have fresh use 1/2 tsp ground turmeric),
- Pinch of pink salt.
- Add all of your ingredients to a pan. You will need to peel the turmeric first and grate it as you would with fresh ginger. And open up the Bee Prepared capsule and pour the powder in.
- Over a low heat, stir until the honey is melted and well mixed in and then remove from the heat.
- Pour the mixture into a blender and blend until completely smooth. I used my trusty Optimum 9200 Next Generation Power Blender from Froothie UK.
- Pour your horchata into a pitcher and leave in the fridge to cool for a few hours.
- Once chilled remove from the fridge and give it a good stir as sometimes coconut milk can separate. Pour into your glass and serve with an ice cube and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy :)